Applications for Internship/Practice in Medicine
Due to the reduced capacity of UFPB’s School of Medicine to adequately accommodate foreign students in their Internship/Practice program, the coordination of internships of the UFPB Program in Medicine has set out that, as of July 2017, places in the Internship Program will be limited to a number of partner institutions; the number of students each institution may send in each semester will also be determined.
Therefore, at this moment, the universities which have an active bilateral academic cooperation agreement with UFPB and may send students to the internship program in medicine, among other programs, are the following: Universidade do Porto (ICBAS); Universidade da Beira Interior; Universidade de Coimbra; Ludwig Maximilian Universität.
The candidates to Internship/Practice in Medicine must be aware of the following conditions:
- The UFPB International Office will forward to the School of Medicine all applications for a specific semester altogether, right after the deadline informed for the receipt of such applications; or, in a golden scenario, as soon as we have received all applications expected for that period. Therefore, letters of acceptance may only be expedited in case all applications reach us in advance.
- Although internships do not necessarily obey the academic calendar, it is important that applications fit into one specific semester (1st, 2nd, or 1st + 2nd). In addition to facilitating the process, indicating dates as such prevents us from expecting students to start a module at a time they will not be here.
- The modules start at the first day of each month, regardless of the day of the week. Therefore, candidates must take this into considerations when planning their arrival at João Pessoa and their start date at UFPB.
- The internship modules must be done entirely; it is not possible to reduce the work load or skip part of the module. This way, students must fit into the following pattern:
a) one week internship comprises 48 hours of work; 8 hours per day, from Monday to Saturday;
b) learning agreements must show the number of hours/weeks students wish/must do in each module, adjusting to one of three possibilities: 4 weeks (192 hours); 8 weeks (384 hours); 16 weeks (768 hours).
- Due to the internship work load, it is not possible to combine internship activities and theoretical-practical classes; however, each month of work in the internship includes and accounts for 12 hours of theoretical work.
- The number of candidates who wish to enroll in theoretical-practical classes only (that is, no internship included) is not limited and, therefore, in this case, applications may be assessed at the time they reach our International Office and the letter of acceptance may be issued individually.
- Accepting candidates is up to the Internship Coordinator of the UFPB School of Medicine